The German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst is a place of world historical importance: in the museum building, the High Command of the German Wehrmacht signed the unconditional surrender in front of representatives of the Soviet Union, the USA, Great Britain and France on the night of 8-9 May 1945. This followed the general consent to an armistice on May 7th at the American-British headquarters in the French city of Reims. The surrender at the Soviet headquarters in Berlin-Karlshorst was the ceremonial act that sealed the common victory of the anti-Hitler coalition and with which the Wehrmacht leadership recognized their complete defeat - this ended the Second World War in Europe. The hall where the signing took place has been preserved to this day. It forms the heart of the museum.
From 1945 to 1949 the head of the Soviet military administration in Germany resided in the building. After various uses by the Soviet military, the "Historical Memorial - The Museum of the Soviet Armed Forces in Germany" was opened in the building in 1967, which was renamed the "Museum of the Unconditional Surrender of Fascist Germany in the Great Patriotic War" in 1986 and existed until 1994. With the withdrawal of the Russian troops, the Association Museum Berlin-Karlshorst e.V. was founded and the "German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst" opened on 10 May 1995 on the 50th anniversary of the end of the war in Europe. In 2013 the revised new permanent exhibition "Germany and the Soviet Union in World War II" opened.